Thursday, April 4, 2013

LIL SMITTY: UNPLUGGED

YOUNG J: Today Lil Smitty is in the building ya heard. I'm glad we had this opportunity to link up man.
LIL SMITTY: Fasho, thank you for your time and for the love G.
YOUNG J: I hear you’re a SoCal representative. Cali has been known to have some of the finest weather. Oh, and not to mention some of the finest females but that's a whole different topic. Where are you originally from?
LIL SMITTY: I’m from a small town in the San Gabriel valley called Rowland Heights.
YOUNG J: Where did you grow up as a kid?
LIL SMITTY: I grew up in Rowland Heights, but after the age of nine I grew up in foster homes and group homes in different Southern California areas.
YOUNG J: As you were growing up what types of music were you into?
LIL SMITTY: I was always a big 2Pac fan as a kid, Bone Thugs and that 90’s “G” era was what I loved to bump. I also had a deep love and respect for the “Old School;” I grew up hearing oldies and all the classics.
YOUNG J: What was Smitty like as a teen?
LIL SMITTY: Damn, I was a fool growing up. Everyone can definitely tell u I acted way older than my age, always drinking, doing drugs with my hommies from the neighborhood, fighting e todo. I was a real desmadroso.
YOUNG J: When was it that you decided to get into the music industry?
LIL SMITTY: Since I could remember I always had wanted to rap, it has been decided since I was ten.
YOUNG J: How did you first get involved in the rap game?
LIL SMITTY: Funny story, my older primo, Pooky used to flow back in the days, and we used to always go to Needles, California for the river in the summer. He used to give me shots of tequila and vodka as an incentive for freestyling. All his friends used to cheer me on and give me props, it felt good. It was then I knew I wanted to be in the game.
YOUNG J: As an upcoming rapper is there another rapper or rappers who you looked up to?
LIL SMITTY: Always looked up to 2Pac. He was a big help to my hard upbringing as a kid. But, as a teen SPM truly kept me going.
YOUNG J: How long have you been in the game for?
LIL SMITTY: I’ve been in the game since I was 14, mastering my craft for all these years; I’m now barely making my break through.
YOUNG J: I've been in studio with other rappers like Carolyn Rodriguez (Medicine Girl) and I know what it takes to make a hot track. When you’re in the process of recording your lyrics do you tend to write more or are you more a freestyler?
LIL SMITTY: Anyone who knows me in the studio knows I’ll write a song in less than ten minutes, hooks and all it’s a true gift, I always got something to say. When in times I don’t have material; yes I’ll freestyle.
YOUNG J: How do you go about hooking up with beats do you have specific people you deal with or do you do your own productions?
LIL SMITTY: I make my own beats for most of my tracks that you’ve heard, but all my new stuff has been produced by Alex Ibarra with Illegal Productions. I work with a very few other producers cause many can’t capture my vision.
YOUNG J: Since you have been in the business what other artist have you been affiliated with?
LIL SMITTY: I’ve worked with few, none I’d mention though. I choose to work alone mostly colabs; I do it to help others game out.
YOUNG J: Are there any other artist that come to your mind that you would like to collaborate with?
LIL SMITTY: I’d love to work with all the original Dope House Records, SPM, it would be my dream to work with him. I’d like to work with Dr. Dre, Xzibit, Ice cube and other, “West Coast Kings.”
YOUNG J: As of now are you signed with a label or doing your thing independently?
LIL SMITTY: I’m very much independent, but I’m firmly associated with Illegal Productions.
YOUNG J: What does Lil Smitty represent?
LIL SMITTY: I represent for the underdogs, for the ones who are promised death and prison, but make something out of themselves. I represent for the kids with no mom and no dad, who suffer all there life and still achieve. For the men and woman in prison for life, I’m here to tell their story, “My Story,” and give the world blinded to this lifestyle a clear vision of what I’ve been through and have come from.
YOUNG J: I’ve seen your video, “I Aint Going Nowhere." What can you tell us about that?
LIL SMITTY: That’s a deep personal track me and Alex Ibarra created. You can get a glimpse of what I’ve lived.
YOUNG J: I've also heard a track you had produced, “Letter to SPM" How you were able to come up with the concept of that track?
LIL SMITTY: I’ve always been a fan of SPM, so I made a deep emotional beat to his in-house style productions and started to write him a letter. I wanted to talk to him as well as my listeners and paint a picture.
YOUNG J: Obviously SPM has been an inspiration in your life as he is too many people today. How has SPM inspired you artistically?
LIL SMITTY: I’ve always loved his rhyme scheme and character on the mic. I’ve always respected his grind and music. He never made a club song or anything wack just to cater to what the media thought was dope. He stuck to what he did best and it was still successful. Today as an artist it encourages me to stay true to what I feel is dope and stray from what everyone else is doing in the game.
YOUNG J: How were you first introduced to SPM's music?
LIL SMITTY: A hommie from my neighborhood showed me a SPM track. "Filthy Rich" was the first track I heard and loved it. That same year I had all his CD’s.
YOUNG J: It's been about 10 years since the incarceration of SPM. There's been a lot of negative feedback from people who condemn him for his conviction. As a supporter how does his incarceration make you feel?
LIL SMITTY: Everyone has their opinions about his conviction, here in Cali, a lot of gente don’t like SPM for what he was convicted of. But, after researching and reading his trial and case, I find it in my strongest opinion and judgment that he is innocent. As a big fan I also choose not to believe it; so I go above and beyond to support his movement and continue to tell those the truth.
YOUNG J: What does the legacy of SPM mean to you?
LIL SMITTY: The legacy of SPM to me is loyalty, respect, and love. He was a humble person who gave love to all races; so I believe if we follow his message in life and in his music, we all as one race (human being’s) can have a mutual love and respect for one another.
YOUNG J: I'm really feelin' you vibe and everything you’re doing man. Do you have any future projects that you can talk about?
LIL SMITTY: Yes, I have a few CD’s dropping late 2013. I’ve been in the studio non-stop all year so I have a lot of dope music coming soon.
YOUNG J: This is ya boy Young J and Lil Smitty in the spot. Thanks very much for your time. It is very much appreciated. It's important the readers are on point with all the latest and up-to-date info. Before we get out tell me how we can hear more about you and your music?
LIL SMITTY:  Thank you for your love and time playa, much respect. You can all get my music and show updates on my website at WWW.LILSMITTY.COM

http://soundcloud.com/search?q%5Bfulltext%5D=lil+smitty SOUNDCLOUD


Some win some fail but I choose to win
Another day of life like here we go again
Hardships of our universe got us drawn to sin
I pay it all no mind as I take a ripp
A few hits from the bong
Got me writting songs
Dreams of bieng a star but I've been 1 all along
Dazed in my mental stressed blowing janey
Im making moves now all these phoney friends hate me
I pay them no mind so I keep trucking
These hoes keep on coming so I keep fucking
Life of misery a life of pain
I know I've said it before but im forreal man
Chopping bricks giving phenes their fix
Enemies get the led then get the crucifix
That triple 6 got them all talking shit
Tryna break my core, Hah, stones and sticks
Im broke as fuck barely getting by
Sometimes i dont eat just to afford my high
A cold 40 brew and bars
One day I'll have it all big crib and cars
But until then Imma keep it real
And Stay on the streets to get the world to feel
Its my last chance to get em all to listen
Brown and gifted they want me locked in prison
I gotta fight the odds and not fall to the statistics
The law is the real enemy they hate me and my sickness
Hate filled in my viens or the hating kind
Giving praise to the souls with fighting hearts and minds
Truth from the gut truth from the core
Spit it how I live it till the vokal box is sore

                                  
                                      Lil Smitty

7 comments:

  1. Lil Smitty true talent Ive had u since the day I heard ur song letter to SPM even tho.when u asked me to post it I was like I have to hear it first lol your bad on the Mic let me tell u a secret I don't like west coast Chicano rap but u r the exception to that. ツ ♥ ur a good person please don't let this life get to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank i so much for ur Love and support, it means the world to me....all i want is my voice to be heard.
      So thank u for listening.

      Delete
  2. Wasup Lil smitty much love nd respect to u..keep ur head up keep doing wat u doing..I haven't heard much of ur music but ima start now im sure ill like it..im frm TX im one of spm number 1 fan..so stay true do wat u do..ps

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your voice is being heard all the way in Florida! Keep it up Lil Smitty. You're amazing at what you do. You put your heart and soul into your music and you can really tell. I listen to you everyday, always blasting through my speakers.
    Mucho amor,
    Sophia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u for all ur love and support Sophia, its highly appreciated....much love and respect..

      Delete
  4. shit i told you from the first mixtape u handed me gee!!u got wat it takes my boy!!just remember about all the hard times uve been thru smitty and uknow u deserve the spotlight my boy.and if not then take it by force!!!haha

    ps we gotta kick it and pound a few back before u go big

    ReplyDelete