Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Can't Stop The Hustle



YOUNG J: Thanks for stopping by. What's good with you Iceman or should I call you Ice?
ICEMAN: Iceman is good and I just wanted to say thanks for the opportunity to be part of the Dope House Army.
YOUNG J: It's all love family. Where are you originally from?
ICEMAN: I'm from Lansing Michigan and I grew up on the North side.
YOUNG J: What's your affiliation with Calico Records?
ICEMAN: I am one of the Co-founders and owner.
YOUNG J: When did Calico Records first begin operations?
ICEMMAN: We opened doors at Calico Records the summer of 06. Me and my bro had been working on this for a while.
YOUNG J: How did Calico Records first begin?
ICEMAN: Calico was a dream my bro and I had for the longest time. We grew up listing to SPM and a lot of Latin artist. We wanted to make a change in the game in Lansing. No Latin rappers meant we had to come hard to make our name known in Lansing, but as time went on we started to know that Lansing wasn't the place for us so we looked to Huston the home of SPM and many more artists that showed love since day one.
YOUNG J: How did you get into the rap game?
ICEMAN: Rap has been in my life since I was a child on Camp Street watching TV with my bro back in 94 with the "Gangsta's Paradise" Coolio video and I knew something was there for us. We moved to an all-white town my mom and step dad were looking for a new life. We heard ICP (Insane Clown Posse) from Detroit and we were hooked. Some years later my step dad passed away so we moved back with our aunt and cousins in Lansing.
YOUNG J: As an upcoming emcee who were your inspirations?
ICEMAN: I would have to say SPM hands down. He has played a major part in my life even through the passing of my mom and dad. I put on one of his CD's and knew that everything is going to be ok. He has changed my life in so many ways so I can support him now also. Other artist I also look up to has to be Lloyd Banks, Chamillionaire, Kanye West, and Eminem.
YOUNG J: How old were you when you began rapping?
ICEMAN: I first began rapping like in 02 I was 14.
YOUNG J: How long have you been in the rap game for?
ICEMAN: About 8 years now.
YOUNG J: Who are some of the artist you have worked with since you have been in the game?
ICEMAN: Some of the artists that I’ve worked with were from Money Ent. It was mostly local artist aspiring to work legends like SPM, GT Garza, Rasheed, and many more.
YOUNG J: Explain what your music represents.
ICEMAN: My music represents my struggle for an upcoming Latino rapper in this industry. I'm more of a conscience rapper I put what happens in my life in a rap.
YOUNG J: How did you get introduced to SPM's music?
ICEMAN: The first time I listed to SPM I was 12. My cousin was thinking I needed to take a couple of shots so we were getting tore down and he was playing SPM. I asked him what was he playing and he said he was playing SPM. I knew I liked it because it was a Mexican rapper.
YOUNG J: What do you like most about the cold flows of SPM?
ICEMAN: The thing I like about SPM's flows is how deep he can get with it and how he tells his life story and that positive message is good. No matter what you want to do.
YOUNG J: How has SPM impacted your life?
ICEMAN: SPM has inspired me in many ways. When I'm having bad times in my life I listen to SPM. He's more like a role model to me. Many people look at him now and judge him, but I look past that because I know that they can't hold his message down. Like I told him in the letter he may be on lock down but the message he sends is free and his heart is made of gold.
YOUNG J: How do you feel about SPM's current situation?
ICEMAN: I feel that he was wrongfully convicted. I think he was getting held down due to success as an upcoming Mexican rapper.
YOUNG J: Can you talk about the "Free SPM Movement?"
ICEMAN: I fully support the SPM Movement. I think it's a great idea and "Can't Stop The Hustle" is somewhat based around that.
YOUNG J: How is Can't Stop The Hustle related to the Free SPM Movement?
ICEMAN: It’s like the same but a up North thing. A lot of people didn’t know what happened to Carlos. Some people thought the worst but with this movement we can show that we support him and to keep his name alive.
YOUNG J: What is "Can't Stop The Hustle 2" about?
It’s a tribute album that highlights some of his fans and some of their stories.
YOUNG J: What kind of projects are you working on for the future?
ICEMAN: We’re working on a Can’t Stop The Hustle movie. The movie is going to be based around how we got in the game and how SPM and down South had a part in it.
YOUNG J: Alright Iceman it's been good chilling with you.
ICEMAN: Thanks bro much love. You know they can't stop the hustle and Dope House Army for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment